Sunday, October 20, 2013

Adopt a Wolf? by Karen Rose Smith, Photos at #Wolf #Sanctuary



Why would you ever adopt a wolf?  Friends who really know me wouldn't have to ask.  Readers who have read my feral cat blogs wouldn't have to ask.  The plight of creatures big and small touch my heart.  So when my BFF told me she and her daughter visited a wolf sanctuary and related what they did there, I was intrigued.



Years ago when one of my books was first published, the heroine tells the hero about an adopt-a-wolf program his son might be interested in.  The topic interested me twenty years ago when I wrote RIBBONS AND RAINBOWS and it still does today.  Because the real issue of caring for each other and the creatures we have stewardship over never changes.

So I explored the information about the wolf sanctuary and wanted to visit.  The facility has hours at specific times.  But since walking a distance can be a problem for me, I believed a more casual atmosphere might be better.  My husband and I decided to take the full moon tour, complete with bonfire.  Specific wolf pack areas would be lighted and guides would be stationed with each pack to give information and answer questions.



We knew rain showers were predicted.   But Saturday evening was open so we took the long drive.  We checked in and were given wrist bands.  The bonfire was raging and the wolves were near the fencing, expecting food and maybe extra attention.  They didn't seem to be the least bit disturbed that they had visitors.  Rain soon began to fall.  (I took all my photos in the dark with the rain falling!) But fortunately the wind had stopped and the temperature had remained in the 60's.  What worry was a little rain?  Especially when I wanted to explore something new that concerned the welfare of animals.  I learned that some of the pack areas have shelters, but that the wolves don't use them. (The wolves have an outer protective coat that keeps the rain from seeping down to their skin.)  When the rain became a downpour, folks without umbrellas dispersed and we had a guide to ourselves who was stationed at a gray wolf pack.


For over thirty years this twenty-plus acres of natural woodland has been a refuge for wolves.  Providing food, the proper habitat, as well as veterinary care for over forty wolves is no easy task.  It takes dedication, commitment and volunteers because the sanctuary doesn't accept government or big business assistance.  It maintains itself through tours and donations.  Local restaurants and hunters donate food.

These wolves are often rescued because someone thought they could keep one as a pet.  Wolves are not pets.  States have ordinances about keeping them.  They are beautiful animals who deserve to live where they are free to roam.

You can read so much more about them at the Wolf Sanctuary of PA website. Click here--WOLF SANCTUARY OF PA website

At the website you can learn about each of their wolves as well as donating to help the sanctuary by adopting...and much more.  I hope to return to the sanctuary and learn more about these animals who need a safe home.  There is so much more about these wolves to blog about.













2 comments:

Unknown said...

Read the book really nice love story .

KRS said...

Joyce--thank you!