Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Back To School Quick Supper--Flatbread healthier pizzas

Quick pizza supper!  This time of year with back to school, quick suppers are a huge help.  I don't have to worry about back-to-school anymore with my husband a retired teacher, but we're always looking for easy and quick on nights when cooking just isn't a priority.  I know "flatbread" has been around for a while but when I was at the grocery store last week, a pack of thin crust flatbreads, a six pack--size 12 x 4 each, was on special. It was available in plain, wheat, and garlic.  I bought the plain to try it.

Our tomatoes were late growing this year but they're coming in now.  So here is the recipe I used to make a quick, somewhat healthier version of pizza.

Warm the six flatbread pieces for five minutes in a 375 degree oven on 2 cookie sheets.  Then...

3 lbs. tomatoes, sliced VERY thin  Place on a platter and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt and 2 tablespoons sugar

1 pack turkey pepperoni (I use Hormel, 6 oz. pack)

5 tablespoons oregano or more if you like spicier

1 cup parmesan cheese

16 ounces of grated mozzarella cheese (I use part skim.)

After the flatbreads have warmed five minutes, sprinkle with parmesan cheese.  Spread the tomato slices on top.  Sprinkle with oregano.  Cover the tomatoes with the pepperoni, then spread on the mozzarella cheese!  Bake in 375 degree oven for ten minutes.  The edges of the flatbread should be crispy.

I hope you enjoy it!











IN TOUCH with KAREN ROSE SMITH ezine
Karen Rose Smith's romance website 
Karen Rose Smith's mystery website




2 comments:

Jean said...

I zapped that into Evernote to have on hand when hubby isn't around. There's even an off chance he might be willing to give it a try.

KRS said...

Jean--I hope your hubby is willing to try it. Mine likes it too! It's the pepperoni that spices it up. Thanks for commenting.