Saturday, March 15, 2014

NATHAN'S VOW #Narrator, Heidi Baker by Karen Rose Smith




NATHAN'S VOW is the first book in my Search For Love series.  I needed a narrator who would fit the voice of my heroine.  Fortunately I found Heidi Baker.  I did the following interview with her so my readers could learn more about her and the audiobook development process.  I hope you enjoy it.

Why did you decide to begin narrating audiobooks?

Combining my love of voice-over acting and reading just seemed like a logical formula for me to begin narrating books.  I had always dreamt of narrating books and am beyond happy to be doing it now.

What's the toughest part of narrating?

Figuring out how best to use my time wisely is the hardest part for me when it comes to narrating.  As a narrator, I need to keep my voice from becoming fatigued.  In order to do this, I have to set aside so many hours in the morning and afternoon to narrate.  Because I don't want my voice to wear out, I try to break up my day to include some editing as well.  (Okay, and I make time to pet my studio cat, Noel!)  I know my limits, too.  I realize I won't be able to "be" a character whose voice is low and booming.  I have to understand what vocal ages/styles suit my voice the best.

Why narrate a romance?  What other genres are you narrating?

Who DOESN'T like a good love story of boy meets girl?  There IS something within all of us that can relate, in some aspects, to romance stories.  I love the fact that I get to bring these stories to life.

I have narrated other romance stories, mysteries and a handful of young adult novels.  I find that my voice best fits these genres.

What do you look for in an author's history to sway you toward narrating their book?

When choosing an author to work with, I make sure to see if their project is something I'd like my name associated with.  I don't pay too much attention to sales of the author's previous titles.  If the sample I'm reading elicits some reaction in me, more than likely I will read for the author.  The story has to tug at me in some way.  NATHAN'S VOW did this easily.

Tell us a little about your background (where you're from, schools, training) and experience thus far.

I was born and raised among cornfields, silos and the friendliest people around in Iowa.  I studied Radio Broadcasting and worked as a morning show host and news reporter for about four years.  I also taught Broadcasting courses at Iowa Central Community College where I graduated a year before.  I started my voice-over business, Heidi Baker Voice, in the spring of 2011 from my home studio right outside of Baltimore.

Did you read a lot as a kid?  As an adult?

I loved reading as a kid.  I still remember falling in love with what is now my favorite book--A SEPARATE PEACE.  I love to read mostly non-fiction and enjoy topics on religion, science, and evolutionary psychology.  I recently discovered I was missing out on not reading more romance novels.

What do you like to do most when you're not narrating?

In no particular order:  I love to travel (currently planning a European vacation with my husband and some friends), attend Baltimore Ravens football games, visit my family and friends back in Iowa, volunteer and donate my time to causes that are near and dear to me.



Hear a sample of NATHAN'S VOW or buy at:





Nathan's Vow now available as an audiobook.


©2014 Karen Rose Smith

IN TOUCH with KAREN ROSE SMITH ezine
Karen Rose Smith's romance website
Karen Rose Smith's mystery website


No comments: