Friday, August 31, 2012

Peach Pie Recipe




I had a few requests for the peach pie I made for the weekend so here it is:

Pastry
2 and 2/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
7-8 tablespoons cold water

Mix flour and salt. Use pastry cutter to cut in shortening. Sprinkle with 5 tablespoons of water and mix with a long pronged fork.  Then mix in two more.  You can always use the last one if you don't think it's sticking together just right.

Form dough into a  ball and halve it.  I use the first half to roll out the bottom half of the pastry.  I sometimes can't get that second crust just right so I roll out the second ball and use a ravioli cutter to make lattice strips.  Then I weave them.

Peach Filling
5-6 cups sliced fresh peaches (I like them to be ripe)
1/2-3/4 cup sugar (Depends on tartness of peach variety.)
3 tablespoons flour
dash of salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix until all peaches are coated.  Then pour into the bottom shell.  If they've made a syrup, I don't pour that in. They'll cook out sometimes as is. Dot the filling with about eight flicks of butter.

Top with lattice and bring bottom edge up over the lattice.  I crimp with my thumbs!

Bake at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes until the crust is golden brown.  (I use a protector on the outside rim so that crust doesn't bake too much.

Enjoy!!!!


No comments: