Saturday, August 31, 2013

Deep dish #peach #pie

Peaches are my favorite summer fruit and I make lots of desserts with them. Deep dish peach pie is one that seems to be gobbled up the fastest!  So here is the recipe I use.

My pie crust recipe comes from Betty Crocker's Cookbook, 1969 edition.  It was a shower gift before my wedding.  I've been using this recipe for pie crusts all these years.  Though I've tried others, I always come back to this one.

10-Inch Two-Crust Pie
2 2/3 cups Gold Medal Flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening (or 3/4 cup plus w tablespoons lard) (My note-- I use Crisco.  A new can of shortening always seems to produce my flakiest, melt -in-your-mouth crusts.)
7-8 tablespoons cold water

Measure flour and salt into bowl.  Cut in shortening thoroughly.  Sprinkle in water, a tablespoon at a time, mixing until flour is moistened and dough almost cleans side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons water can be added if needed).

Gather dough into ball; shape into flattened round on lightly floured cloth-covered board. (For Two-crust Pie, divide dough in half and shape into 2 flattened rounds.) With floured stockinet-covered rolling pin, roll dough 2 inches larger than inverted pie pan.  (My note--I've tried the new silicone matts with silicone rolling pins.  I always go back to my pastry cloth!)

Peach Filling
6 cups sliced peaches if using deep dish, 5 cups for regular pie plate
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
about 1 1/2 tablespoons butter

Slice peaches into large bowl.  Sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon, salt and flour.  Stir well. (I don't let this sit too long because the sugar on the peaches creates more juice.)  Pour the mixture into your shell and slice butter here and there.  Either top with second pie shell or use a pastry cutter to cut the rolled shell into lattice strips.  Weave those on top of the pie like in the picture above.  Bake in 400 degree oven for 45-50 minutes until top is golden brown.  I use a crust edge guard to prevent the edges from browing too much.

Enjoy!

My sleuth Caprice De Luca in my mystery series loves to cook.   Her Nana Celia makes this peach pie every summer. :)




IN TOUCH with KAREN ROSE SMITH ezine
Karen Rose Smith's romance website 
Karen Rose Smith's mystery website
Karen's Facebook Author Page





2 comments:

Catherine Kean said...

Thank you SO much for the recipe, Karen! :) I am going to make peach pie this weekend. Fingers crossed mine looks half as good as yours. :)

KRS said...

It only took me 40 plus years but it usually comes out every time with fresh crisco and cold water.