Saturday, June 22, 2019

Extending Indoor Space to the Outdoors



I've wanted a canopied porch swing for quite a while.  Arthritis and fibromyalgia sometimes limit where I can go and what I can do.  The past few years my husband kept insisting our patio wasn't big enough to comfortably accommodate a swing.  But...where there's a will, there's a way.  And I set out to find the way.  I enjoy spring, summer and fall as much as I can.  I begin growing flowers and tomatoes from seed in February and March to remind me that spring and spending time in outdoor space is coming.

I searched for the swing I wanted online first, deciding exactly the type I wanted--a three-seater that I could lounge on as well as sit on.  Then with his trusty tape measure in hand, my husband and I went to the patio to figure out if and how it would fit.  He reluctantly agreed to order the swing, hoping that my plan would work.  (He should know after 47 years of marriage that it would!) After my hubby and our neighbor's son worked two hours to assemble the new purchase (the directions said it was supposed to be an easy assembly!), we began moving things around to see the best fit.  I already had several patio pots planted, ready to decorate the space. My goal was to create an outside living space without sacrificing the view or obstructing walking pathways.  Soon I had just what I wanted...a quiet retreat where I could spend sunny mornings either listening to music, editing or writing new material.

Just as you accessorize your indoor spaces with wall groupings, knickknacks, greenery and pillows, you can do the same to add a special homey touch to your outdoor living spaces.  I chose colorful cushions and pillows, potted groupings, and a fountain.  I added the cat doormat hubby received from a friend for Father's Day and I even had a corner that I decorated with colorful stones that are supposed to glow in the dark.  I added my favorite sign and a cat planter.

Now I can spend my spring, summer and fall mornings on the patio with the outdoor cats.  (We've been taking care of two ferals--Bonnie and Clyde--for a few years.)  Hopefully birds chirping, a fountain trickling and the scent of blooming annuals will give me peace of mind and the inspiration to write the next scene in my cozy mystery.


 And if I'm really lucky, I might even spot a deer grazing in the field to the rear of our property.   







No comments: