Sunday, February 12, 2012

EXPRESSIONS OF LOVE



Valentine's Day has always been special to me. When I was a pre-teen, my dad began remembering me as well as my mother on the hearts and flowers day. He would send her a Valentine's Day flower arrangement and send me a junior version. He remembered us both with cards. One year he gave us both gold heart pendants.

I'm not sure where my dad's appreciation of the holiday originated. He came from a family of ten children and extras were scarce. He was not an outwardly affectionate man or book-learning educated. He quit school after eighth grade to work. But he was a woodworking artist and later in life took up acrylic and watercolor painting. He was always thoughtful of my mother. He might bring home a piece of pottery she'd like or a swing for two for the patio for their anniversary. My dad was a generous man with a huge heart. He didn't express his feelings with words but he showed the people he loved that he cared with actions.

When I met my husband, I expected Valentine's Day to be special and it always has been. College sweethearts, we've been married for forty years. After our son was born, I suffered from post-partum depression, though then it wasn't recognized as such. My husband began a tradition then that has lasted to this day. The seven days before Valentine's Day he leaves me notes, cards or tokens of his love. After that first year, I did the same. Among those tokens this year--kitty-themed folders for my long-hand manuscript pages and notes, a solar hummingbird plant stick for my garden.

Like many women, I know Valentine's Day isn't about chocolates, flowers or jewelry. It's about an expression of love from father to daughter, mother to son, husband to wife. It's about realizing how precious each moment is with anyone you love and showing appreciation for them with an extra "I love you," a few more hugs, or a note left on a napkin with a "thinking of you" sentiment.

Valentine's Day is a day to celebrate the best part of ourselves we can give to those we love.

What did you appreciate most as an expression of love?

Do you have a special Valentine's Day tradition?

Karen Rose Smith's IN TOUCH e-zine
Karen Rose Smith's Website
Karen Rose Smith's Search For Love Series Website

Karen Rose Smith copyright 2012

7 comments:

Carrie Daws said...

That's so sweet that you celebrate it for an entire week! I really like that idea...

Lauren Royal said...

Lovely, Karen! You've got a keeper there in your husband!

KRS said...

Carrie--It makes February fun!

KRS said...

Lauren--Yep, a definite keeper. :)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet, lovely post, Karen. Thanks for sharing your Valentine's Day traditions.

KRS said...

I like to share some of what inspires me.

Judythe Morgan said...

What a sweet, sweet dad and a true kepper in your hubby. Traditions for any holiday make that day even more special. Hope you always pay it forward.